Posted by admin
on June 15, 2015
Comments Off on Great Concerts
Beer and popcorn to concerts
One thing we are a bit blessed with here in the UK is good concerts. Its easy to forget that all countries are not as lucky as we are. If you are a big and famous artist you basicly have to come and play in the UK atleast once a year. Even smaller artists that try to have a break are usually coming here to make it big.
This form of entertainment is so relaxing and also fun and I think everybody should enjoy it from time to time. I have seen many great concerts here in London. I have a very wide taste of music so my toplist for which ones that I have liked the most will probably look a bit fun for many people.
- Backstreet Boys
- Swedish House Mafia
- Bon Jovi
The backstreet boys concert has always been a strong memory for me since they can both sing and dance. I have actually seen them perform in Asia as well. During one trip when I was studying on exchange in Bangkok I had the chance to see them live there. The best concert was however in London and the UK. Then I went with all my best friends and it was just a perfect night and perfect entertainment.
The second place on my list which is a house group does not exist anymore. Their music will however go on and live forever so I really hope you will check them out if you haven’t already. Hopefully they will get back together as a group someday and we can all enjoy some of their great music once again.
On third place I have put Bon Jovi. His a bit old now but when I was very young I got the chance to see him live and he had so much passion and energy that I became a fan very quickly.
It would be great to get to see all these artist again maybe at the O2 arena in London since that would make it very big and powerful. Why not have them all three there for one night to make it really exciting.
Posted by admin
on June 02, 2015
Comments Off on 3 things that Students should learn
Imagine for awhile that you went four years in college. Just learning how the in-and-outs of your future profession will work. That wouldn’t be much fun, right?
Being a student is much more then just to know how to run a large organization or what Shakespeare thought about Hamlet. The student time is a time when you go from a teenager to an adult. It’s a time to test new things and to experience what life is all about.
It might be the time when you live by yourself for the first time. That’s a huge step for many young people. Handling a very own budget, paying bills and be responsible for no one but yourself. I think there are some things that a student should learn.
1) Being able to socialize with people. This is a huge factor when it comes to being more self reliant. There is no more mum or dad who will introduce you to new people. In adulthood meeting new people and understand their perspective is a huge thing. If you can’t get along with people this will be a career breaker. First thing you need to do to get a job is to get to an job interview most likely. Would be awkward if you couldn’t get along with the persons who interviews you, right? And don’t forget. That during this time, it might be the time that you meet that someone special. So go out and socialize and try your luck.
2) Running a household. If you aren’t lucky enough to have a maid or a butler, then it’s up to you everyday to clean your bed, wash your clothes and to make dinner everyday. Well you might not need to make your bed and wash your clothes everyday. But you have to eat and make your own food everyday if you don’t want a whole in your wallet. Running a household might seem daunting, but in the end it’s a great way to feel better about yourself.
3. Getting better disciplined. No matter if it comes to studies or keeping an budget, it’s very important that you become more disciplined. At the end of the day, you are holding yourself responsible if anything happens. Sure, mum and dad might come to the rescue once or twice, but the will probably give up if you screw up to much.
Posted by admin
on May 12, 2015
Comments Off on US system VS the UK system
USA is a really strong example of a country where sport is considered as very important even when you study. If you are good at sport there you can even get into a University and have everything paid for you. That’s something that’s very different from most countries in the world.
The US system has both upsides and downsides. One of the big downsides is that the people that are in school and also do the sports are usually not doing so well in school. All their focus goes to being good in for example American football. It’s great that they want to be good in their sport but it’s not good if it makes them worse students. Many of these players therefore end up as failures after their school years are over. They might up working just a register at Wall Mart even though they had four years of University Studies.
Then the aspect of American football is always argued a lot lately to be dangerous for players brains. This of course is pretty crazy since you do go to University and Collage to get smarter and better. If you then end up with brain damage it’s pretty much the opposite effect of what school should be.
What system is best?
There have actually been lots of studies last few year that showed that they damages can come many years after the years that players where active as players. There is even some court cases at the moment that involve 100 of millions of dollars that the schools are sued for.
I think that most likely the former players that are making these lawsuits will not win. Even though they of course have some kind of point with all this. If they went to a school and got paid to go there because of their football skills then the University should be somewhat responsible for what happened to them.
Posted by admin
on April 09, 2015
Comments Off on Chess, good or bad for students?
Could chess make you sleepy?
The sport that made me and my friends argue the most was Chess. The first thing we argued about here was if Chess is even a sport. Let’s pretend that it is and then we can discuss if its optimal for students to have it as their hobby sport.
My opinion was very much the opposite of my friends. I do NOT thing Chess would be a good sport if you are a student. I do agree with the fact that its cheap of course and its easy to get started. You can do it in your room or over internet and basically find people to play with anywhere anytime since its possible to do it online.
My biggest argument however for chess as not a good sport for students is the brain power and focus that it demands. I think that a student should be able to relax and do something that’s just physical instead of keep using their brain. After reading in books all day and trying to remember things I don’t think it’s going to be very optimal to sit down and push your brain further. This will just make you more tired and in worst case forget some of the stuff that you managed to learn during the day. Of course people are all different and I understand that it would work for some people.
Another thing that I don’t like about chess as a sport is the physical aspect. Now you think what physical aspect? Well that’s just my point, there is no physical aspect in it. When you have been studying in school or at home all day I think it would be very important for anyone to get some physical training. Just get that hear rate pumping and get a better cardio and physical status. Then you will probably be able to study better as well.
There are so many studies showing you need physical fitness to stay sharp mentally. You don’t need to be a Olympic athlete but you should be able to have some stamina and power to stay sharp in your head as well. One thing is for sure, it won’t hurt at least.
Posted by admin
on March 09, 2015
Comments Off on Going backpacking in Thailand
Thai forrest deluxe
Thailand is so amazing that I can’t really explain it in this brief article about backpacking in Thailand. This country is truly amazing. The thai food is out of this world, the people are friendly and the weather and country is beyond words.
Imagine walking on a white sand beach, with a coconut drink in your hands and enjoying a postcard view. And the next day going out clubbing in a big city like Bangkok with extravagant clubs and food that makes you cry. Literally.
If you’re planning to travel to Thailand for a week or two, it’s not really enough. But it could be done.
Start by going to the beautiful island in the south west of Thailand and start working your way up to the east coast. Then jump on to a plane/bus/train to the north of Thailand in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to enjoy beautiful mountains and jungle life.Then for the last two, three days stay in Bangkok and shop like your life depended on it. Also enjoy the restaurants and clubs that you won’t find back in London.
Don’t bring to much clothes in your backpack. Most stuff you can buy new in Thailand. But it could always be good to take with you some underwears, bathing clothes and one or two t-shirts to get started.
You can’t drink the water from the tap in Thailand, but you will most likely find a 7-eleven or grocery very close by to indulge you with your favorite beverages. The same things go with food. There are so many restaurants nowadays in Thailand that you would never need to get hungry for just a penny or two.
There is budget living and there is luxury living. All depending on your travel budget to Thailand. But most things are pretty cheap in Thailand. But when I’m in Thailand I like to really live it up a little. Going out to five star sushi restaurants and living in five star hotels are not much more than staying in a moderate hotel and diner in London.
Posted by admin
on February 01, 2015
Comments Off on Eating Healthy and getting a good night sleep
Noodles are great. But!
Noodles are great. They are tasty, really fast food and above all, they are cheap. As an student we all need to prioritize.
But sometimes the student parties and nightlife is getting in a way of giving us the most of our student time. Even though I’m a huge fan of getting the most of my student life, I think that there is times when we all need a good night sleep and eating more healthy. Science has proved that sleep is the best way to stay productive and better our memory.
Eating healthy is also an example of getting better results no matter if we are talking about work, studies or sports. These are things that makes our bodies and minds be more optimal. It all drains down to two factors that we students needs to take into account.
1. The time factor
Some students are lucky. Coming from a wealthy family, but most of use are not. We need to twist and turn every penny that we get our hands on. But come friday night and our budget mindset is gone with the wind. Time on the other hand something that is equal amongst everyone. There is 365 days in a year (mostly) and there is 24 hours in a day. For me it’s about managing time as well as resources. Both mentality and in terms of money. I wrote a previous post about habits. It could be useful to look at that post to see if there anything in life to get better at.
Posted by admin
on January 04, 2015
Comments Off on Interesting movies
A common feature in movies
This is my list of the top 5 movies that I have ever seen. It’s pretty hard to make a list like this since almost always there is going to be that 6th movie that you want to squeeze in on the list as well.
After a lot of thinking however this is my list.
- Dead Poets Society
- The Shawshank redemption
The number one spot goes to Dead Poets Society. Maybe I am a bit emotional right now when im making this choice. What I’m referring to is the death of Robin Williams. It’s no matter what a great movie and I found it very inspiring the first time that I saw it. I think it has made many people read their first book because he somehow made it charming and exciting to read and write in that movie.
The movie has a great balance between darkness and happiness and I think that’s something Robin Williams is a expert at delivering. It’s the same as he did in the movie Will Hunting for example where there was so much happy moments and also sad moments.
The second place movie on my list is The Shawshank redemption. This movie is really about having hope and staying strong. I have probably seen this movie almost 10 times but its still so beautiful so even though I know how it will end it’s a great movie. It has a big twist in the end which I don’t want to spoil for anyone that has not seen the movie.
The reason that I put Inception on the third place is because it really is a mind blowing movie. It makes your head spin when you watch it and you have to be a bit sharp when you watch it. If you look away and miss bits and parts it will just get very confusing in the end. However with Leonardo Di Caprio in the lead roll you will not lose focus when you watch this movie. Its always very amazing and drags you deeper and deeper into the story.
Posted by admin
on December 11, 2014
Comments Off on The best sport for students
I had a discussion with some friends recently about what the best sport is for students. The opinions were all very different so we did not come to any conclusion but it was still a very interesting discussion.
There are many factors to way in when trying to pic the optimal sport for students. One big factor is money. In most cases students have a tight budget during their years at University. This is not the case for everybody but definitely for most people. Therefore I think this should be a big factor. A sport like hockey is therefore not very optimal if you are a poor student since the hockey gear is very expensive.
There are however many examples of sports that are cheap so there is no reason for us to feel sad. A sport like swimming for example does not require much equipment at all. The biggest fee would probably be the membership at the Swimming place.
Badminton is another type of sport which is easy to get going with. Much easier then Tennis for example since almost everybody can get the badminton ball over the net right from the start. It’s also not that expensive. All you need is a racket and some decent shoes to play. It trains mostly your cardio but of course some muscles will get fit as well. Especially the arm you hit with and your legs should get in good shape quickly.
Running is another example of something that we are good at here in UK and also it’s not expensive. Once again you will need some good shoes but then it’s not that much more after that. Maybe a gym membership also if you want to build some muscles as well while you train your speed.
Posted by admin
on November 12, 2014
Comments Off on Traveling on a student budget
If you’re like me. A student with a tight student budget, travelling might seem like a dream. But I have a strong belief that it’s important to get around in the world a little.
Especially if you’re in your twenties something. Before you know it you have kids, a mortgage and a work (hopefully) to go to. And then it will much more difficult and (more expensive) to travel around the globe.
Also during the student period, it’s a time to meet new people, experience other cultures and see what the world has to offer. Partying is much more fun when you have the stamina to do it and e.g. hiking, windsurfing, trekking etc requires some health requirements that you might not have in 10 or 20 years. Carpe diem!
But how do you go about to travel around with a small budget you might ask? Well. There is a couple of things that you can do.
1) Research. Do a lot of research before you go. Airplane tickets, Hostels, where to eat, etc. If you do your research before going out in the world. There is much better chances that you can hold on to your budget and keep your expenses down. But down let the research part let you down. Think of it like a part of travel.
2) Use online services. There are plenty of online services that let you compare prices and even let you sleep on some other persons sofa in an another city. So there is so much things that can keep your student budget. If you don’t belive me. Google it!
3) Travel with friend/friends. Well it’s like sharing an apartment with someone. But you’re doing it abroad. You can share cost for food and living when traveling when you stick together with someone. And that’s a much safer thing to do then travel alone. This tip for “traveling on a student budget” should be number one, when I think about it.
4) Change your currency before leaving. Before you travel to your destination(s), it would be better to change the currency beforehand. So that you would need to pay extra currency fees and/or trade your hard earned money for less value then it would be at home.
Posted by admin
on October 09, 2014
Comments Off on Why students should write a blog
I get a lot of questions about blogging. Especially about what to blog about. “My life is so uninteresting, why should anyone care about my blog”? But I think that the blog is more interesting for you as a student then to get a lot of followers to your blog.
There are so many benefits with blogging that I think I would share some of those with you. And perhaps you will get ideas on what to blog about.
1) Do it to become better with writing and reading. I am the first in line to say that my english isn’t top notch. But I know, that the more I read and write. I will become much better at it. So that’s a huge benefit as a student. That you can improve yourself on something that is so important do you degree and also to future work. In fact, I don’t know is I would have gone to the University that I’m in, if I haven’t written this blog. And That take me to reason number two.
2) Reflection about your studies and your life. It is much easier to get a birds view perspective on your life if you write a blog. If there is something that bothers you, do you have goals that you need motivation to? Well a blog is a great way to let out some steam and enables you to come back, days, month or even years later to read about and to laugh, cry and reflect over. It so good that I can honestly say that if I haven’t blogged I wouldn’t have come to the conclusion to study at the University. Experience all that life has to give to me and hopefully get a proper job at the end.
3) Get new friends and share experience. When you’re blogging you will notice that other people might be interested in what you’re writing about. Maybe they are in the same situation that you are in and that they have the same interests that you have. And maybe you will get comments that they like what you’re writing about, they will link to you from their blog, sharing readers from their blog. I know many friends that gotten friends from blogging and even met them IRL (In Real Life), and I met a few myself writing this blog. Internet is a such wonderful place.
4) Creating job opportunities. If you’re really love what you’re writing about, no matter it’s about animals, cooking, IT, playing online casino games, traveling or whatnot. There is always an opportunity that your blog will become a source for other person with the same interest. It might end up that you will become an authority in your field and people are looking to you for your expertize in the area of interest. This might end up in a job opportunity for you that an company is noticing you and is reaching out for you to start working to them. There are examples has gotten job requests solely because of their blog that they are writing on. And if you want to hire me, just hit me with an e-mail